Hilton Smythe welcomes to the market The Coffee Den.
There has been a café business at this site for the last 16 years or so and the current owners have run it successfully and lucratively since April 2017. This lovely little and well-established business is now being sold, albeit reluctantly and after much soul searching only due to poor health.
The Coffee Den, as the name suggests is a café and coffee shop offering traditional fare such as:
• Teas, coffees and hot chocolates
• Cold drinks and milkshakes
• Hot pork baps
• Toasted tea cakes
• Soup of the day
• Baked potatoes
The business has an impressively high number of regular customers many of whom are known on a first name basis by the current owners who are popular and well-respected members of the local community.
The business has good visibility on the internet with great reviews from the likes of Tripadvisor and has a Facebook page with 1,200 likes at the time of instruction.
The vendors are keen to see their well-loved business pass to an ambitious and entrepreneurial new owner who can take this already thriving business to the next level.
Scope to Improve
1. Advertising and marketing campaign
2. Maximise the use of social media, perhaps look at Twitter and Instagram.
3. Website to extol the services and products stocked, ideally with an online ordering facility
4. Extend the opening hours, perhaps opening as a bistro in the evenings or offering roast dinners on a Sunday. The business has a licence enabling it to trade until 11pm for takeout food.
5. Develop a sandwich round delivering to local businesses at lunchtime
6. Increase the outside catering side of the business particularly corporate
7. Apply for an alcohol licence.
Reasons to Buy
1. A well-established business with an enviable reputation and many existing customers
2. Prime trading position in the unusually busy and vibrant Market Square area of Wellington.
3. A real opportunity to increase turnover significantly, the owners have been running at a pace to suit recently, due to ill health.
4. Current owners happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success
5. Ideal owner managed or partnership business.
Hilton Smythe highly advise early viewing to avoid disappointment, this great little business is likely to attract considerable interest.Location
The Coffee Den is located in Wellington, Telford in the county of Shropshire.
Wellington is a town in the unitary authority of Telford and Wrekin and now forms part of the new town of Telford, with which it has become contiguous.
The total town population of Wellington was 35,554 in 2011 making it by far the largest of the borough towns and the third largest town in Shropshire when counted independently from Telford. However, the town centre serves a greater area of approximately 60,000.
Wellington can be reached more easily than many Shropshire towns thanks to its excellent road links, its centrally located railway and bus stations, and its position on routes 45 and 81 of the National Cycle Network. Wellington is located at the western terminus of the M54 motorway Junction 7.
Coffee Den is prominently located in the town centre Market Square, alongside other complimentary retail businesses and as such benefits from high levels of footfall and passing trade.
The business is nicely presented and maintained with clear visible signage. There is free on street parking nearby as well as a free shopper’s car park a short walk away.Premises
The Coffee Den occupies the ground floor of a period property that is in a prominent corner position and briefly comprises;
• Dual aspect with windows and a glazed door to each side creating a light airy interior.
• Suspended ceiling with concealed lighting enhanced by brushed aluminium pendant lights along the windows.
• vinyl non slip flooring, tables and chairs currently providing 20 covers, breakfast bar area with high stools, bespoke counter with till and cutlery container, long glass fronted serve over counter, refrigerated gateau display.
• open plan kitchen with a range of base units with complimentary worktop and open shelving.
• Fracino coffee machine, coffee grinder, Tea Fusion urn, chalked menu boards, Buffalo panini maker, 4 slot toaster, 2 slot toaster, blender and milkshake maker.
With stainless steel sink and drainer and useful double cupboard beneath, good run of worktop, open shelving, stainless steel scales, Turbofan Commercial induction oven, extraction system with stainless steel canopy, microwave, Ace griddle, 2 ring electric hob, under counter fridge.
There is a useful cellar beneath the café currently used for storage.
With closed coupled WC and hand wash basin.Tenure
We are advised that The Coffee Den is being sold as a leasehold business opportunity.
The existing lease has approximately 5 years remaining, and the rent is a very reasonable £12,960 per annum. We are further advised that the landlord would be happy to negotiate a mutually acceptable lease with a new owner.
We are advised that the business rates payable are approximately £3000 per annum.Hours
Monday to Saturday 8.30am-4.00pm.Staff
The business is run and managed by our clients with the help of one part time member of staff.Financial Profile
The Coffee Den generates an advised current turnover of circa £65,000 but it needs to be stressed that the business has been run at a pace to suit recently due to health problems.