Hilton Smythe welcomes to the market, Rehman News.
There has been a Newsagents at this site for over 60 years. The current owner has run the business as Rehman News for the last 16 years and it has been a real labour of love for him. The time has come for him to sell the business, albeit reluctantly and with a heavy heart only so that he can pursue other business interests. He is keen to see his beloved business pass to an ambitious and entrepreneurial new owner who can take it to the next level.
Rehman News is a traditional style Newsagents selling a range of products including:
• Newspapers and Magazines
• Tobacco products
• Ice Creams and Ices
• Cold soft drinks
• General groceries
• Crisps and Snacks
• General Groceries
• Household items
• Tights and hair accessories
• Greetings cards, gift bags and wrapping paper
The business has a weekly news bill of approximately £700 and has one morning delivery round. Rehman News has an impressive number of regular customers many of whom use the business on a daily basis and are known on a first name basis by the current owner who is a popular and well-respected member of the local community.
Scope To Improve
1. Extend the opening hours, the business is currently being run at a pace to suit and trades limited hours
2. Advertising and marketing campaign, perhaps a leaflet drop locally
3. Maximise the use of social media particularly Facebook and Twitter
4. Website to advertise the products and services offered
5. Introduce Paypoint or Payzone which would increase footfall
6. Apply for a Lotto terminal
7. Explore additional income streams such as parcel services or dry-cleaning agency
8. Consider stocking flowers, plants and shrubs, plenty of room externally to display and older residents in the area would find useful
9. Look at introducing a wider range of takeaway food and sandwiches for people visiting the popular park opposite
10. Redecorate the exterior of the premises and increase the signage
Reasons To Buy
1. A well-established business with an enviable reputation and many existing customers
2. Prominent trading position on a corner position on a main road
3. Little or no competition locally
4. Real opportunity to increase turnover significantly, current owner has been running at a pace to suit
5. Current owner happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success
6. Ideal owner managed or partnership business
Hilton Smythe highly advise early viewing to avoid disappointment.Location
Rehman News is Located in the Kings Heath area of Birmingham in the West Midlands.
Kings Heath is a suburb of South Birmingham, five miles south of the city centre. It is the next suburb south from Moseley on the A435, Alcester Road. The locals still refer to Kings Heath as a ‘village’ even though it has been part of Birmingham for over a century.
Kings Heath contains two parks Kings Heath Park and Highbury Park, the former being famous as the setting for the popular television series, Gardening Today.
Rehman News is ideally positioned opposite one of the entrances to Kings Heath Park. The park also features a Victorian styled tea room and is the venue for the annual Gardeners Weekend Show, which comes under the Royal Horticultural Society and is one of the top regional events for gardening enthusiasts to show off their vegetables and floral displays etc. The park has ‘green flag’ status.
Rehman News is prominently situated in a corner position fronting a main road and directly opposite the park and thus benefits from good levels of footfall along with passing trade as well as an impressive number of regular customers.Premises
Useable floor area is in the region of 76m2
Rehman News occupies the ground floor of an end terraced, former Victorian villa and briefly comprises:-
Corner position double fronted with central door to front and windows to each side creating a light airy and inviting interior. Cleverly designed to maximise the space available, suspended ceiling and tiled floor and compromises: -
• Bespoke counter
• Generous wrapping area
• Cigarette gantry behind
• Newspaper and magazine racking
• Triple stacked ice cream freezer
• 3 Glass fronted drinks chillers
• Perimeter shelving
• Central shelving gondola
• Nescafé coffee machine
• Glass topped food freezer
• Wall mounted security mirror
• Greeting card racking
• Revolving carousel for display of children’s toys
• Ample floor storage space for bulk buys and special offers
With Perimeter shelving and floor storage space.Tenure
We are advised that Rehman News is being sold as a Leasehold business opportunity.
The current owner owns the Freehold and is happy to negotiate a mutually acceptable Lease with a new owner.
We are advised an annual rent of £12,000 per annum is proposed.
We are advised that the business benefits from being business rates exempt.Hours
Monday to Friday 6.30am till 4.00pm
Saturday 7.00am till 4.00pm
Sunday 7.00am till 2.00pm
The business is currently being run at a pace to suit.Staff
The business is run and managed by our client.Financial Profile
Rehman News generates an advised current turnover of approximately £120,000 per annum but it needs to be stressed that the business is currently being run at a pace to suit and has enjoyed a higher turnover previously.