Hilton Smythe are pleased to have been given the opportunity to manage the sale of a popular and well used traditional Newsagents and Sweetshop that includes lovely accommodation, M E Preece.
There has been a Newsagents shop on this site for over a hundred years and during that time it has become the heart of the local community. The business has been in family ownership for the last 36 years or so and is now only being sold due to bereavement.
M E Preece is a lovely traditional shop selling a range of products including;
• Newspapers and Magazines
• Traditional sweets sold in jars
• Greeting cards and wrapping paper
• Crisps and snacks
• Tobacco products
• Ice creams
• Soft drinks
• Biscuits, bread and cakes.
The business has an impressive number of regular customers many of whom are known on a first name basis by the current owner. M E Preece has a weekly news bill of approximately £750 with two morning and two evening delivery rounds.
Scope to Improve
• Advertising and marketing campaign
• Maximise the use of social media
• Extend the opening hours
• Install Paypoint or Payzone to increase footfall
• Consider offering Lotto and scratch cards
• Become a Parcel delivery point
• Explore additional income streams such as becoming an agent for dry cleaning etc
• Apply for relevant alcohol licence and stock beers, wines and spirits
• Extend the retail space, there is room to extend the store whilst still leaving good sized living accommodation.
Reasons to Buy
• Well established business with an enviable reputation and many existing customers
• Includes lovely living accommodation
• Little or no competition locally
• Ideal owner managed or husband and wife business
• Current owner happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success.
• A real opportunity to increase turnover significantly, the business has been run at a pace to suit.
• Priced to facilitate a quick sale
Hilton Smythe highly advise early viewing to avoid disappointment, this lovely little business is likely to attract considerable interest.Location
M E Preece is located in Bridgtown, Cannock in Staffordshire.
Bridgtown is a civil parish in the Cannock Chase District of Staffordshire, it is situated on the A5 between Cannock and Great Wyrley.
Cannock as of the 2011 census has a population of 29,018 and is the most populous of the three towns of Cannock Chase. Cannock lies to the north of the West Midlands conurbation on the M5, A34 and A5 roads and to the south of Cannock Chase, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
M E Preece is ideally positioned in the main shopping centre of Bridgtown alongside other complimentary retail businesses, all of which are independents such as a hairdresser, barbers, florist, delicatessen, tea rooms and a business centre.
The business enjoys good footfall and passing trade as well as many regular customers. The business is nicely presented and maintained with clear visibility, there is free on street parking immediately outside the premises as well as a free shoppers car park a short walk away.Premises
The business occupies a semi-detached, period style property over two floors and briefly comprises;
• Windows and glazed door to front creating a light airy and inviting interior
• Window display with bespoke glass shelving and traditional sweets in jars
• Vinyl flooring
• Counter with generous and well stocked confectionery display
• Crisp racking to front
• Till and wrapping area
• Cigarette gantry behind
• Perimeter shelving
• Glass fronted drinks
• Dairy chiller
• Newspaper and magazine racking
• Greeting card shelving and wall hanging space
• Glass topped ice cream freezer.
• A particular feature of this business is the lovely owner’s accommodation which has been refurbished and modernised over the years and is presented to the very highest standards and really needs to be viewed to appreciate.
Reception Room/ Office
• Nice sized room with expensive looking, wood effect flooring, feature fireplace, built in shelving with complimentary worktop above.
• A lovely room with some period features, window to front, feature fireplace, beamed ceiling, wall lights and centre pendant light.
• A useful downstairs cloakroom with fully tiled walls, close coupled toilet and hand wash basin
Walk in Store Cupboard
• A useful walk-in store just off the inner hallway, currently used for storing of shop stock but ideal for coats, hats and boots etc
• Another lovely room with some period features, wood effect flooring, feature fireplace with inset gas fire, a further walk in cupboard which houses the boiler. Patio doors to garden.
• Generous galley style kitchen with a good range of modern looking base and wall units with complimentary, marble effect worktop, feature skylights which flood the room with natural daylight, wood effect flooring, 1 ½ bowl stainless steel sink and drainer with Monobloc tap, door to garden
First Floor, accessed by stairs from the inner hallway the first floor comprises;
• A good-sized double with windows to front and expensive built in wardrobes
• Another generous double with window to front and pendant lighting
• A single bedroom with a window to rear and access to roof space
• Nicely fitted and generously proportioned with vinyl flooring, three-piece, cream coloured sanitary ware and separate shower cubicle with folding doors, window to side.
• To the rear of the property and accessed both from the rear lounge and kitchen is a lovely courtyard garden with many established shrubs and plants, raised beds, different level seating areas and a useful timber shed to the rear. There is also a side gate which leads to the front of the premises via an alley way. This is a real oasis and a sun trap during the sunnier months and lends itself to Al Fresco dining.Tenure
M E Preece is being sold as a Freehold business opportunity.
The business benefits from being exempt from business rates.Hours
Monday to Saturday - 5.45am - 5.30pm
Sunday - 7am – 1pmStaff
The business is run with the help of two full time and one part time member of staff.Financial Profile
M E Preece generates an advised current turnover of approximately £320,000 per annum, however it needs to be stressed that the business is being run at a pace to suit.