• Village centre location
• Main character public bar with beamed ceilings and restaurant with multi-fuel burner
• Two beer garden areas and car parking
• Undertaking eat in and take-away trade
• 4 / 5 bedroomed owners accommodation plus private lounge
• Scope to convert for cottage alongside to holiday cottage, B&B rooms etc, additional former cottage also available by separate negotiation
Great Torrington 6 miles, Bideford 11 miles, Hatherleigh 10 miles. Access to the A30 at Okehampton circa 15 miles.
The subject property is the only pub in the village and is situated within its centre close to the church and community hall as well as many period residential properties. In recent years further housing development projects have been completed increasing the size of the village.
THE PROPERTY AND CONSTRUCTION
The main building is of stone construction, over two storeys under a pitched slate roof, and is reputed to date back to the 17th century at which time it was a coaching inn for travellers between Launceston and Lynton. Since then, it has had an interesting history and a variety of uses including life as a Magistrates Court, a home for fallen women of the Parish, a lodging house, a coffee tavern as well as a private house. In more recent times the property has been utilised as a Public House and Restaurant with an established trade. The current owners have undertaken a number of works in the past 3 years including replacement of the rear roof pitch, new flooring and joists in the main bar, installation of a multi-fuel burner in the restaurant area as well as various electrical and fire precaution upgrades. The main public bar offers open plan accommodation with an adjoining restaurant area for up to 24 covers. It is thought the restaurant area could be extended into the adjoining building within the ownership of the property, being a redundant cottage/Almshouse. There is a further redundant Almshouse beyond this which is available by separate negotiation. Many features remain within the public areas including exposed stone chimney breast, flag stone flooring, beamed ceiling and timber wainscoting. The private accommodation at first floor level provides 4 / 5 bedroomed accommodation as well as a large lounge area. To the front of the property is a beer garden overlooking the village centre with a further levelled area to the rear providing additional beer garden space. Importantly there is also an onsite private car park for owners and customers alike.
Our clients are invited offers for the Freehold interest including the redundant former Almshouse alongside. There is a further former Almshouse available by separate negotiation.
Having been operated by our clients since 2017 the business is run as a family concern by a husband and wife team with 2 daughters, one of which operates the kitchen. Average turnover for 2018 and 2019 yearends show approximately £135,000 with current operating hours being closed Monday and Tuesday evenings in the winter, Wednesday and Thursday open am and pm, Friday - Sunday open all day. Given its proximity to the Tarka Trail the business attracts many walkers and cyclists as well as additional trade derived from team events and an increasing take-away trade.
Any current stock to be purchased at valuation upon completion.
The property is sold with the benefit of a inventory of trade fixtures, fittings and equipment.
The property is sold with the benefit of a Premises Licence.
Payable, if applicable, at the prevailing rate.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE
Please contact the agents for a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendation Report.
THE ACCOMMODATION in brief (comprises)
Main entrance door to lobby with flag stone floor to :-
MAIN BAR AREA
35’4 x 22’0 (10.75m x 6.71m) into bay recess, elm topped service counter to main bar servery with assorted beer fonts, wash hand basin, glass washer, till, 2 x chiller fridges, beamed walls and ceilings, covers for 24, part carpet / part flag stone flooring, feature exposed stone work, timber wainscoting, darts board, 2 x TVs, pool table with lighting canopy, country views. Separate side entrance and hallway with :-
Tiled floors and walls, 3 x urinals, 1 x low level w.c., wash hand basin, electric radiator
Part carpet / part tiled floor, tiled walls, 1 x low level w.c., vanity hand basin, electric radiator
16’3 x 12’4 (4.95m x 3.75m) Carpet, fireplace with exposed stonework chimney breast and inset multi-fuel burner, set for 18 covers (although can seat more), darts board
Extraction canopy, non slip flooring, plastic clad walls, microwave, double deep fat fryer, 6 x burner gas oven, griddle, preparation benches, double glazing, double sink unit. Adjoining storage area with plumbing for washing machine, fridges and freezers
Assorted chillers, ice machine, pumps, lines etc. Shelving for bottles storage
Landing with carpet, down lighters, electric radiator, cupboard with safe, loft access
17`0 x 14`9 (5.20m x 4.50m) Dual aspect double glazed windows, radiator heating, carpet
12`4 x 12`0 (3.75m x 3.65m) Radiator heating, carpet, double glazing, wash hand basin
10`5 x 9`9 (3.15m x 2.95m) Radiator heating, carpet, double glazing
MASTER BEDROOM 3
16`6 x 12`5 (5.00m x 3.80m) Exposed fireplace, radiator heating, double glazing, carpet
FAMILY THREE PIECE BATHROOM
A frame beams, bath, wash hand basin, low level w.c., carpet, built in airing cupboard, radiator heating. Adjacent separate shower room with carpet, double glazing
BEDROOM 4 / OFFICE
17`8 x 8`0 (5.40m x 2.45m) Carpet, double glazing, radiator heating. Through room to:-
BEDROOM 5 / OFFICE / STOREROOM
Radiator heating, carpet
To the front of the property is a beer garden with picnic bench seats and a smoking shelter, with a further levelled area for additional beer garden seating to the rear. The outside seating provides covers for a further 50/60. The pub car park adjoins the side of the property with parking for approximately 10/12 vehicles.
There is a former cottage / Almshouse, 15`7 x 13`8 (4.75m x 4.15m), adjoining the property which has been reduced to a single storey building with a single pitched profile roof. Subject to planning, we believe that it could be reinstated and / or used as additional commercial accommodation such as extending the restaurant, holiday accommodation or B&B rooms. Beyond this cottage is another similar property, available by separate negotiation. There are also other useful outbuildings including bin store and a stone built shed / workshop.
Having been in the trade for many years we have established good connections in the finance sector. Our association with these Banks and Commercial Brokers mean that we are able to offer you introductions to competitive finance packages, for a new purchase or refinance purposes alike. Whether it is initial advice on your likely purchase level or if you are at the point of making an offer, you will often be able to achieve preferential rates, possibly saving you thousands of pounds. Please call for more information.
JD Commercial for themselves, and for the Vendors of this property whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The Particulars are set out in general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. Prospective purchasers should seek their own professional advice.
2. All descriptions, dimensions and areas, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchaser should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact and must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
3. No person in the employment of JD Commercial has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of JD Commercial, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendors.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by any intending purchaser in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
PROPERTY MISDESCRIPTIONS ACT 1993
1. All measurements are approximate.
2. While we endeavour to make our sales particulars accurate and reliable, if there is any point which is of particular importance to you, please contact JD Commercial and we will be pleased to check the information for you, particularly if contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
3. We do our utmost to comply with this Act in full. However we are also trying to represent our clients’ properties in their high possible light, as such we may use summer photographs to promote some properties.
By strict appointment through the selling Agents, JD Commercial, 42 Ridgeway Drive, Bideford, North Devon. EX39 1TW
TEL: (01237) 424053 / 07868 846357 E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org