* Lounge bar and restaurant with covers for 90+
* Beer garden with direct access from Tarka Trail with further covers for 90+
* Completely refurbished in 2004, further refurbishment in 2019
* Suitable for a wide variety of daytime or evening catering styles
* Self contained 2 bedroomed owners accommodation above
* Commercial kitchen, covered courtyard, fitted cellar, pool room and carvery servery
* Car park alongside with parking for 8 vehicles, more if double parked
With a resident population of around 32,000 including nearby villages, Bideford is the second largest town in North Devon, and the town has a reputation as a pleasant place to live, work and visit. In recent years Bideford has benefited from lots of investment and development, including the ongoing Atlantic Park retail area and improvements to the historic town centre and quayside, and the current Local Plan allows for a further 4,000 homes plus leisure facilities. Bideford is within 3 miles of some well-known North Devon locations such as Appledore, Westward Ho!, Instow and Northam and only 9 miles from the area’s commercial centre of Barnstaple. It is also within a half-hour’s drive of Exmoor National Park, the beaches around Woolacombe, Croyde and Saunton, and the Devon-Cornwall border.
The property is located in an area of Bideford known as East-the-Water. Situated between the Tarka Trail and River Torridge on Torrington Street the property is a short level walk to Bideford’s ‘Old Bridge’ and the Town Centre.
THE PROPERTY AND CONSTRUCTION
The main building is of two storey construction with rendered elevations under a pitched slate roof. The trading area was subsequently extended by way of a single storey extension also having a pitched slate roof, with the entire premises having been completely refurbished in 2004 with more recent updating in 2019. Currently configured as a lounge bar with covers for approximately 90+ and an additional pool room and carvery. There is a ground floor commercial kitchen with extraction and gas interlock for those looking to major on food trade. Externally there is a covered courtyard garden area as well as an extensive decked beer garden with covers for a further 90+ and which adjoins and has direct access to the Tarka Trail including bicycle parking. At first floor level is a self contained 2 bedroomed flat suitable for owner occupation or staff accommodation. To the side of the property is a car park for approximately 8 vehicles, it is thought this area may have development potential.
Our clients are inviting offers for the Freehold interest of property which includes part of the beer garden. It should be noted that the remaining part of the beer garden is leased from Devon County Council on a 25 year lease term at an annual rent of £1,350 per annum, although this part does provide direct access to the Tarka Trail.
Having been operated as a mainly wet led public house for many years the business is no longer trading as the owner has decided to concentrate on his other business ventures in Westward Ho! Net turnovers of between £266,000 - £281,000 have been achieved in recent years, having been run under staffing. It is thought there is considerable potential to develop all aspects of the business, particularly a food operator who wishes to take advantage the location adjoining the Tarka Trail which has approaching one million users per year.
The property is sold with the benefit of a Premises Licence.
The property is sold with an inventory of trade fixtures, fittings and equipment.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE
As the property is Grade II Listed an Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendation Report are not required.
THE ACCOMMODATION (comprises)
63`5 x 24`0 (19.30m x 7.30m) Return bar servery with drinks chillers, double coffee machine, flagstone floor around bar area, dance floor, carpet, covers for approximately 90+, background music speakers, timber wainscoting, spot lighting, wood burner within exposed stonework fireplace, door to covered courtyard and entrance porch and door to front
26`4 x 19`8 (8.00m x 6.00m) Flagstone flooring, pool table, carvery station, cleaning cupboard
14`1 x 12`2 (4.30m x 3.70m) Non slip flooring, extractor, gas interlock, turbofan oven, double deep fat fryer, griddle, 6 burner gas oven, dishwasher, chiller gantry, fridge, double sink unit, eye level double grill
24`6 x 7`1 (7.45m x 2.15m) Assorted fridges and freezers
COVERED BARREL STORAGE
11`10 x 7`1 (3.60m x 2.15m)
13`3 x 10`2 (4.05m x 3.10m) Assorted lines, pumps, cooling equipment
REAR BAR STORAGE
CCTV, stainless steel wash hand basin, water tank, safe, glass washer
Access to beer garden
Entrance hallway with carpet, intruder alarm
Vinyl flooring, eye and base units, stainless steel single drainer sink, worktop, integrated over and electric 4 hob
16`7 x 15`3 (5.05m x 4.45m) Down lighters, carpet, electric heating
Landing with carpet
15`7 x 15`1 (4.75m x 4.60 m) Carpet, down lighters, beamed ceiling, eaves storage, Velux windows, electric heating
15`7 x 15`8 (4.75m x 2.70 m) Carpet, down lighters, electric heating
Down lighters, Velux window, electric heating, shower, wash hand basin, low level w.c.
15`1 x 7`1 (4.60m x 2.15m) Water tank
To the side of the property is a car park for approximately 8 vehicles, potentially more if double parked. It is thought this area may have future development potential. To the rear of the property is a ground floor covered courtyard area with stairs leading to the decked beer garden which runs alongside and has direct access onto the Tarka Trail. Picnic bench and table seating for approximately 90+.
Having been in the trade for many years we have established good connections in the finance sector. Our association with these Banks and Commercial Brokers mean that we are able to offer you introductions to competitive finance packages, for a new purchase or refinance purposes alike. Whether it is initial advice on your likely purchase level or if you are at the point of making an offer, you will often be able to achieve preferential rates, possibly saving you thousands of pounds. Please call for more information.
JD Commercial for themselves, and for the Vendors of this property whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The Particulars are set out in general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. Prospective purchasers should seek their own professional advice.
2. All descriptions, dimensions and areas, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchaser should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact and must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
3. No person in the employment of JD Commercial has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of JD Commercial, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendors.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by any intending purchaser in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
PROPERTY MISDESCRIPTIONS ACT 1993
1. All measurements are approximate.
2. While we endeavour to make our sales particulars accurate and reliable, if there is any point which is of particular importance to you, please contact JD Commercial and we will be pleased to check the information for you, particularly if contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
3. We do our utmost to comply with this Act in full. However we are also trying to represent our clients’ properties in their high possible light, as such we may use summer photographs to promote some properties.
By strict appointment through the selling Agents, JD Commercial, 42 Ridgeway Drive, Bideford, North Devon. EX39 1TW
TEL: (01237) 424053 / 07868 846357 E-MAIL: email@example.com
Is accommodation included?: