‘The Old Moot House Restaurant’ is a welcoming, friendly, Grade II Listed, 15th century village restaurant, tea room and cocktail bar. The business has an excellent reputation within not only the village but also the surrounding areas. The property also offers spacious accommodation on the 1st floor, consisting of 3 bedrooms and externally a lovely courtyard garden which can also cater for up to 14 guests that can eat outside, under cover, when the weather allows. There is also the ability to sit 4-6 people outside the front of the property as well.
This well maintained property is a traditional 15th century brick & timber building over two storeys with later additions. Original parts of the building date back to 1320 – 1370 which was the original meeting place of the village. Previously the building was split into 3 residential properties.
The restaurant has 3 distinctive areas. The main dining room, a lounge/dining area & the main bar area. The restaurant has a capacity of approximately 60 covers if all the areas are used. The restaurant is regularly used and booked for parties, events and wedding receptions.
The trade areas has been refurbished in recent years and now offers a mix of traditional and modern furnishings. The style lends itself for Afternoon Teas and an evening Wine Bar & Restaurant but has previously been solely used for formal restaurant use as well.
Also on the ground floor are ladies and gents WCs, a fully equipped commercial kitchen and storage rooms. The restaurant also has an extensive cellar area for storage which is accessed from the kitchen. Deliveries can be made through the rear of the premises without disrupting customers.
Is accommodation included?:
The owners’ accommodation (accessed via stairs at the rear of the bar area) is situated on the first floor and comprises 3 bedrooms, a newly refitted bathroom, large lounge and separate kitchen. The 3rd bedroom is currently used as an office but can easily be used solely as a bedroom if required. The accommodation is well maintained and contains all the original features. The property is supplied via gas and is connected to the main water and sewerage.
Castle Hedingham is located in North Essex and is located 4 miles north west of Halstead and also 9 miles north of Braintree. The village developed around the now popular visitor attraction of Hedingham Castle and has a population of approximately 1,000. The restaurant is located in a prominent position on the corner of St James Street & King Street and has plenty of on street parking available to the front, side and rear of the property.