* Fronting the A386 and popular Tarka Trail
* Currently operated as cafe / tea room with considerable scope to offer restaurant / evening trade
* Cafe / tea room with covers for circa 60
* Tea garden with further covers for 100
* Self contained owners accommodation comprising lounge, kitchen/diner and 2 bedrooms
* Originally constructed as railway station last serving trains in 1983 and since converted
Torrington is a market town with a large agricultural hinterland, situated approximately 7 miles to the south east of the administrative centre of Bideford and approximately 11 miles to the south west of the sub regional centre of Barnstaple.
The property is situated fronting the A386, Bideford to Great Torrington road, on one side with another side frontage the popular Tarka Trail cycling and walking route of 30 miles through North Devon countryside.
THE PROPERTY AND CONSTRUCTION
The main building is of two storey construction under a pitched slate roof with an adjoining single storey extension being the former Station Masters office, waiting room and platform from days when the property was operated as a railway station. Constructed in 1870 and with the first train running in the following year the station was used for passengers and freight traffic with the last train running through the station in 1983. Currently the premises is operated as a daytime only licensed cafe / tea room, although it could be adapted to suit new owners trading requirements such as public house, restaurant etc. Internally the premises are configured to provide 3 seating areas for circa 60 covers, with the main cafe being the former platform for the train station. Additional ground floor space includes commercial kitchen, and utility / prep areas. There is self contained owners accommodation consisting of a ground floor lounge and first floor lounge / diner, 2 bedrooms and shower room with some additional first floor storage rooms / office which could be utilised as further private accommodation subject to necessary consents. A new central heating system is to be installed by the Landlords shortly. As well as the building fronting the Tarka Trail the premises has further “curb appeal” with the adjoining tea garden also running alongside. There are also plans to reinstate part of the former railway line to provide a working locomotive in the future.
Our clients are inviting offers for the Leasehold interest and an assignment of the existing 10 year lease, with approximately 7.5 years remaining, at a current rent of £16,000 per annum.
The business is currently owned by a husband and wife partnership, although only one works within the business (5 days per week). In addition there are 6 members of staff (including a part time family member) all of which undertake approximately 32 hours per week, plus 2 x apprentices. Trading 6-7 day per week, dependent on the time the year, opening hours are 10am-4pm, although it is thought these could be considerably extended should new owners wish to undertake evening trade. At present the menu undertake includes hot and cold drinks, light lunches, cream teas, cakes, snacks as well as Sunday lunches (available for eat in or collection). Our clients have owned the business for 2 years and are selling as they currently live over an hour away and also have a young family. In their first trading year turnover for the business was £324,000 with a net profit of £50,000 and it is expected the current financial year will surpass these figures. A recent additional for ease of customer ordering is that of the introduction of a table service buzzer system.
Current stock to be purchased at valuation upon completion.
The property is sold with the benefit of a Premises Licence.
The property is sold with an inventory of trade fixtures, fittings and equipment.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE
Please contact the agents for a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendation Report.
THE ACCOMMODATION (comprises)
Foyer entrance with tiled floor, stone walling, post box, original Station Masters door
30`7 x 14`4 (9.30m x 4.35m) Return servery, double coffee machine, coffee grinder, hot water urn, milk pergola, 2 x double chillers, EPOS till system, 2 draught beer pumps floor, triple fountain, stone fireplace with multi-fuel fire, sofa seating, pie warmer
Glass washer, stainless steel single drainer sink, ice cream server, 2 x fridges, 2 x milkshake machines
BOTTLE / DRY STORE
stairs to first floor office
MAIN CAFE / TEA ROOM
54`11 x 13`5 (16.75m x 4.10m) Original station platform with stanchions, multi-fuel fire, feature exposed stonework, table and chair seating for circa 60, overlooking former railway line, timber wainscoting, skylights
Low level w.c., wash hand basin, 2 x urinals, non slip flooring
2 x low level w.c’s, 2 x wash hand basins
FORMER STATION MASTERS DINING ROOM
14`3 x 13`10 (4.35 m x 4.20 m) Covers for 15, bench seating, radiator heating
Extractor fan, 4 x single deep fat fryers, 6 burner gas oven, double contact grill, microwave, stainless steel single drainer sink, 2 x 3 compartment chillers, 3 compartment freezer gantry, wash hand basin, adjoining pantry
Salad pots, dish washer, washing machine, chest freezer, freezer, stainless steel sink unit
16`7 x 12`11 (5.05m x 3.95m) Multi-fuel fire, exposed stonework chimney breast, tiled hearth, self contained access to outside, stairs to:-
LANDING with carpet and radiator heating
Double shower cubicle, low level w.c., wash hand basin
14`11 x 13`9 (4.55m x 4.20m) Wood flooring, radiator heating, en-suite three piece bathroom with Velux window
13`9 x 12`4 (4.20m x 3.75m) Carpet, radiator heating, fireplace
KITCHEN / DINER
13`7 x 8`9 (4.15m x 2.65m) Radiator heating, eye and base units, worktops, sink unit with tiled splash back
STORE / OFFICE
28`4 x 13`9 (8.65m x 4.20m) (currently portioned into two) Restricted head height to sides, separate second staircase to ground floor bottle store. There is also a former doorway that has been covered between this area and the en-suite from bedroom 1.
To the side and rear of the property is a tea garden which overlooks the Tarka Line and provides covers for approximately 100. The majority is laid to lawn as well as there being a decked seating area. An area has also been fenced off for the private use of the owners which also houses a former bus shelter for the train station. To the front of the property is car parking that is owned by the local authority.
Having been in the trade for many years we have established good connections in the finance sector. Our association with these Banks and Commercial Brokers mean that we are able to offer you introductions to competitive finance packages, for a new purchase or refinance purposes alike. Whether it is initial advice on your likely purchase level or if you are at the point of making an offer, you will often be able to achieve preferential rates, possibly saving you thousands of pounds. Please call for more information.
JD Commercial for themselves, and for the Vendors of this property whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The Particulars are set out in general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. Prospective purchasers should seek their own professional advice.
2. All descriptions, dimensions and areas, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchaser should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact and must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
3. No person in the employment of JD Commercial has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of JD Commercial, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendors.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by any intending purchaser in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
PROPERTY MISDESCRIPTIONS ACT 1993
1. All measurements are approximate.
2. While we endeavour to make our sales particulars accurate and reliable, if there is any point which is of particular importance to you, please contact JD Commercial and we will be pleased to check the information for you, particularly if contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
3. We do our utmost to comply with this Act in full. However we are also trying to represent our clients’ properties in their high possible light, as such we may use summer photographs to promote some properties.
By strict appointment through the selling Agents, JD Commercial, 42 Ridgeway Drive, Bideford, North Devon. EX39 1TW
TEL: (01237) 424053 / 07868 846357 E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is accommodation included?: